Policies at Lincoln Library
Audio or Visual Recording | Circulation | Internet | Interlibrary Loan | Meeting Rooms | Study Rooms
- Customers who reside in a permanent abode within the Corporate Limits of the City of Springfield receive a free library card for a 2 year period if proper proof of residency is provided.
- Valid photo identification (a driver’s license, an Illinois state ID card, a passport, or military ID are acceptable) and 1 form of current address, such as lease or any bill/official document (electronic or printed) postmarked or dated within the past 60 days must be presented to apply for a library card. (P.O. boxes are not accepted as proof of residency.)
- Customers with valid ID but without proof of address have the option to having the card mailed to them as proof of address and will be allowed limited checkout at the time of application.
- A parent or guardian who does not have a blocked (free of charges) Lincoln Library account must consent and guaranty applications for youth ages 5 to 17. Note that some computer access is unfiltered.
- Non-resident cards are issued for 1 year from the date of application and receipt of the application fee for a resident outside the corporate limits of the city of Springfield.
- Non-resident cards are issued to only one property owner residing outside the corporate limits of the city of Springfield for a single taxable property for a 1 year period with proof of a tax assessment bill or deed.
- Library cards entitle the holder to computer use; however the account must be clear of blocks. Computer use cards may be issued to non-qualifying persons and do not allow for borrowing privileges.
- Library cards are not transferable. No one may use another customer’s card with the exception of picking up library material “On Hold.”
- Photo identification may be used to check out materials in lieu of a valid library card.
- Report and provide proof of any change of residential or email address upon the next library use.
- Customer whose accounts have charges of $10 or less, 5 or fewer items overdue and no more than 1 lost Lincoln Library owned material valued under $50 are held in good standing.
- All library cards must be free of fines/fees and overdue items before the card can be used for computer registration or renewed.
- Materials returned late, in damaged condition or considered lost will be charged to the library card on which the items were checked out.
- Report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible. Customers are responsible for material checked out to the library card.
Click here to learn more about our eCards.
Loan & Renewal
- 2 weeks on items, except 7 days for video cassettes/DVD’s, CD-Rom’s or MP3’s.
- 2 renewals per item; except for vertical file, computer software, holds or interlibrary loan (0 renewal).
- Renewal is allowed in person, by phone (753-4900 x5616), or via the web-page with a PIN.
- Audiobooks - 10 per card
- Books - 10 per card on any one subject, 10 copies of one title per card or 75 total per card
- Compact Discs - 10 per card
- Kits - 5 per card
- Periodicals - Current Issues do not circulate, 20 back issues per card
- Vertical File - 10 per card (no renewal)
- Computer Software - 2 per card (no renewal)
- Video Tapes/DVDs - 5 per card (2 renewals)
- 25 cents per day per item, except for video cassettes/DVDs, computer software, or MP3 equipment which are 50 cents per day.
- $5 per item maximum fine; except for video cassettes/DVDs, computer software, or MP3 equipment ($10), vertical files, paperbacks, periodicals, ($3).
- No refunds or credits on fines.
- List price at the time of purchase.
- Credits may be issued for Lincoln Library owned books if found within 365 days or audiovisual within 90 days and undamaged after payment.
- Non-Lincoln Library items must be paid within 90 days from the due date. Credits or refunds will not be issued for paid and returned items.
- Charges vary dependent upon the damage up to the list price of the material.
- Accounts with balances of $50 or more will be referred to a collection agency.
- $10 additional collection fee.
Lost Library Card
Full Circulation Services Policy (Effective September 1, 2015)
Return to top