Interlibrary Loan Policy
Lincoln Library subscribes to the American Library Association’s National Interlibrary Loan Code and to the Illinois ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code.
Loaning Material to Other Libraries
A. General Provisions
1. In compliance with the Illinois ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code, Lincoln Library lends without charge most items that normally circulate.
a) Lincoln Library does not loan reference materials, items on a request list, non-circulating materials, periodicals, microforms, Library of Things items, or other special materials.
b) Lincoln Library will send a copy of a requested periodical or microform article.
c) Items added to the library collection within the past three (3) months will not be loaned.
2. Lincoln Library will locate and send, reply to, or cancel all requests from borrowing institutions within four working days of receipt of the request.
a) “Rush” services or special handling is not offered.
b) Lending outside the 50 United States is not offered.
3. Lincoln Library will notify the borrowing library of dates and duration of loans on Lincoln Library material, renewal policies, special handling provisions, and when items are overdue.
a) All materials shall be loaned for six weeks.
b) Materials may be renewed to the borrowing library for a period of six weeks as long as there are no Lincoln Library patron requests for the item.
B. Request Forms
1. Lincoln Library accepts requests made on American Library Association (ALA) Interlibrary Loan Request forms, through the Online
Computer Library Center (OCLC) via WorldCat Discovery and WorldShare, via telefacsimile, or via e-mail.
a) Telephone requests made by other libraries must be followed by a standard request (see B1.) before requested materials are sent.
b) Request forms shall be in compliance with current copyright law (Title 17, US Code) and indicate such when appropriate.
C. Requests for Copies
1. All copies made by Lincoln Library carry the copyright disclaimer statement – “Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code) and the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works (CONTU) guidelines on "Photocopying Interlibrary Arrangements" including "Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(g)(2)."
2. Scans of up to 50 pages are free of charge and sent via email or Article Exchange.
3. Photocopies of material, including microform, up to 50 pages are free of charge.
4. A maximum of 10 pages will be sent by fax library-to-library.
1. Whenever possible, loaned materials are sent for free through the Illinois Library Delivery System.
2. Lincoln Library absorbs the cost of insurance and library-rate postage when mailing loaned materials to requesting libraries.
3. Special delivery services, such as UPS, FedEx, or other private courier services are not used.
4. Requesting libraries shall be charged the retail price at time of acquisition for the loaned material if it is lost, damaged, or not returned within 30 days of the due date.
Borrowing Material from Other Libraries
A. General Provisions
1. Interlibrary loan requests are placed for material not available at Lincoln Library or material owned by Lincoln Library that is overdue at least one month.
a) Lincoln Library does not place requests for:
(1)Items from lenders outside the 50 United States.
(2)Items from lenders who charge a fee for interlibrary loan.
(3)Items published within the last three (3) months.
(4)Microform, reference, materials more than 100 years old, and other special collection materials, including but not limited to: art prints, puzzles, board games, etc.
2.Lincoln Library cardholders are allowed 30 open interlibrary loan requests at any one time. Requests in excess of this limit will be canceled and the cardholder notified the first two (2) times that excess requests have been made. After two times, excess requests will be canceled without notification.
3.Lincoln Library checks the policies of potential lenders for special instructions, restrictions, and information on charges prior to sending a request. Lincoln Library is responsible for all authorized charges imposed by the supplying library.
a)Lincoln Library honors and conveys to its cardholders the lending library’s conditions of loan including duration of loans, use restrictions, recall notices, fees (if applicable), and special handling provisions.
b)Lincoln Library assumes responsibility for borrowed material from the time the material leaves the lending library until it is returned to and received by the lending library.
c)Lincoln Library is responsible for returning loaned material promptly and safely, and for all compensation including fees, repair, or replacement in accordance with the policy of the lending library. Any fees for interlibrary loan items that are lost or damaged by the borrowing cardholder will be charged to the cardholder.
4. Upon arrival at Lincoln Library, material is prepared for immediate checkout, and cardholders notified.
a)The hold period after notification is consistent with Lincoln Library’s Circulation Policy.
b)The loan period to the cardholder is consistent with Lincoln Library’s Circulation Policy loan periods, with one renewal period.
c)If a cardholder’s maximum hold limit is in effect on the account, the interlibrary loan material will be returned to the lending library.
B. Requests for Copies
1.Lincoln Library will confirm that the request conforms to Copyright Law Section 108(g)2.
2. Lincoln Library reserves the right to refuse requests for copies in violation of copyright law; if the amount or substantiality of the portion requested for copy infringes on the fair-use clause of the copyright law.
C. Cardholder Requirements
1.The requesting cardholder must have and present their valid resident or non-resident Lincoln Library card in good standing before an item will be requested through interlibrary loan.
a) Lincoln Library does not provide interlibrary loan services to reciprocal borrowers in compliance with the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code.
2.No interlibrary loan requests will be processed for a cardholder who has lost or damaged charges in excess of $75.00.
3.The valid Lincoln Library card number must match the name on the request. The same card number must be used to check out the interlibrary loan material.
4.Interlibrary loan borrowing privileges may be suspended if the cardholder does not comply with Lincoln Library’s Interlibrary Loan Policy.
1. Lincoln Library does not borrow material from institutions that impose fees for lending.
2. Lincoln Library absorbs the cost of all return postage and insurance on materials borrowed from within the 50 United States.
3. In the event Lincoln Library pays the lending library for a billed overdue item, the borrowing cardholder must reimburse Lincoln Library the full cost and fees charged by the lending library, even if the cardholder later returns the borrowed material. Failure to do so may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
4. The borrowing cardholder must pay specified non-refundable cost and accompanying service fee charged by the lending library if an interlibrary loaned item is lost or damaged. Failure to pay these charges may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
5. If the lending library prefers to have a lost item replaced, the cardholder will be charged the list price of the item plus a processing fee determined by the lending library.
A. All records identifying the names of library users with specific requests for materials are confidential in nature.
1. Confidentiality applies to all users regardless of their age.
Approved by Lincoln Library Board April 2023