LINCOLN LIBRARY INTERLIBRARY LOAN POLICY
Lincoln Library subscribes to the American Library Association’s National Interlibrary Loan Code and to the Illinois ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code.
LOANING MATERIAL TO OTHER LIBRARIES
A. General Provisions
1. In compliance with the Illinois ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code, Lincoln Library shall lend without charge most items that normally circulate.
a) Lincoln Library shall not loan reference materials, items on a request list, non-circulating materials, periodicals, video games, microforms, doll kits, or other special materials.
b) Lincoln Library shall send a copy of a requested periodical or microform article.
c) Lincoln Library shall not loan items added to the library collection within the past three (3) months.
2. Lincoln Library shall search, locate, and send; or reply, refer, or cancel all requests from borrowing institutions within four working days of receipt of the request.
a) Lincoln Library shall not offer “Rush” or “Urgent” services or special handling.
b) Lincoln Library shall not offer lending outside the 50 United States.
3. Lincoln Library shall notify the borrowing library of dates and duration of loans on Lincoln Library material, renewal policies, special handling provisions, and when items are overdue. If possible, the lending library shall send a copy of the original request along with any material loaned.
a) All materials shall be loaned for six weeks.
b) All materials may be renewed to the borrowing library for a period of six weeks. Permission must be obtained from the appropriate Lincoln Library Department Manager or designated Librarian.
B. Request Forms
1. Lincoln Library shall accept requests made on American Library Association (ALA) Interlibrary Loan Request forms, through the Online
Computer Library Center (OCLC) via WorldCat Discovery and WorldShare, telefacsimile, or e-mail.
2. Telephone requests made by other libraries must be followed by a standard request (see B1.) before requested materials are sent.
3. Request forms shall be in compliance with current copyright law (Title 17, US Code) and indicate such when appropriate.
C. Requests for Copies
1. All copies made by Lincoln Library shall carry the copyright disclaimer statement – “Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code) and the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works (CONTU) guidelines on "Photocopying Interlibrary Arrangements" including "Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(g)(2)."
2. Lincoln Library shall scan material free of charge up to a maximum of 50 pages and send via email or Article Exchange.
3. Lincoln Library shall photocopy material, including microform, up to a maximum of 10 pages.
4. Lincoln Library shall only fax copies library-to-library up to a maximum of 10 pages. The decision to send copies by telefacsimile shall be made by the Adult Services Manager.
1. Lincoln Library shall send loaned materials for free through the Illinois Library Delivery System whenever possible.
2. Lincoln Library shall absorb the cost of insurance and library-rate postage when mailing loaned materials to requesting libraries.
3. Lincoln Library shall not lend via special delivery, such as UPS, FedEx, or other private courier services.
4. Overdue fines shall not be applied to material loaned to other libraries.
5. Requesting libraries shall be charged the retail price at time of acquisition for the loaned material if it is lost, damaged, or not returned within 30 days of the due date.
BORROWING MATERIAL FROM OTHER LIBRARIES
1. General Provisions
a) Lincoln Library shall request through interlibrary loan materials not available at Lincoln Library or material owned by Lincoln Library that is overdue at least one month. These requests shall be processed in a timely manner.
b) Lincoln Library shall not request material from lenders outside the 50 United States.
c) Lincoln Library shall not request material from lenders who charge a fee for interlibrary loan.
d) Lincoln Library shall not request items published within the last three (3) months.
e) Lincoln Library shall not request microform, reference, video games, materials more than 100 years old, and other special collection materials, including but not limited to: art prints, puzzles, board games, etc.
f) Lincoln Library cardholders are allowed 30 open interlibrary loan requests at any one time. Requests in excess of this limit will be canceled and the cardholder notified the first two (2) times that excess requests have been made. After two times, excess requests will be canceled without notification.
2. Lincoln Library shall check the policies of potential lenders for special instructions, restrictions, and information on charges prior to sending a request. Lincoln Library shall be responsible for all authorized charges imposed by the supplying library.
a) Lincoln Library shall honor and convey to its cardholders the lending library’s conditions of loan including duration of loans, use restrictions, recall notices, fees (if applicable), and special handling provisions.
b) Lincoln Library shall assume responsibility for borrowed material from the time the material leaves the lending library until it is returned to and received by the lending library.
c) Lincoln Library shall be responsible for returning loaned material promptly and safely, and for all compensation including fees, repair, or replacement in accordance with the policy of the lending library. Any fees for interlibrary loan items that are lost or damaged by the borrowing cardholder will be charged to the cardholder.
3. Upon arrival at Lincoln Library, material shall be prepared for immediate checkout, and cardholders shall be notified.
a) The hold period after notification shall be consistent with Lincoln Library’s Circulation Policy.
b) The loan period to the cardholder shall be consistent with Lincoln Library’s Circulation Policy loan periods, but no renewal period shall be allowed.
c) If a cardholder’s maximum hold limit is in effect on the account, the interlibrary loan material shall be returned to the lending library.
B. Requests for Copies
1. Lincoln Library shall agree to indicate on all appropriate forms that the request conforms to Copyright Guidelines and Conforms to Copyright Law (Section 108 (g) (2) guidelines.)
2. Lincoln Library shall reserve the right to refuse to accept a request for a copy when it is in violation of copyright law; if the amount or substantiality of the portion requested for copy infringes on the fair-use clause of the copyright law.
C. Cardholder Requirements
1. The requesting cardholder must have and present their valid resident or non-resident Lincoln Library card in good standing before an item will be requested through interlibrary loan.
a) The ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code indicates that interlibrary loan activity should be performed by the borrower’s home library. This is because the home library is fiscally responsible should the borrower refuse to pay for lost or damaged interlibrary loan material. Therefore, Lincoln Library shall not provide interlibrary loan services to reciprocal borrowers.
b) Lincoln Library shall not process requests for a cardholder who has any fines in excess of $10.00.
c) Lincoln Library shall not process requests for a cardholder who has lost or damaged charges in excess of $50.00.
d) The valid Lincoln Library card number must match the name on the request. The same card number must be used to check out the interlibrary loan material.
e) Interlibrary loan borrowing privileges may be suspended if the cardholder does not comply with Lincoln Library’s Interlibrary Loan Policy.
1. Lincoln Library shall loan most materials obtained through interlibrary loan without assessing an in-house charge.
2. Lincoln Library shall not borrow material from institutions that impose fees for lending.
3. Lincoln Library shall absorb the cost of all return postage and insurance on materials borrowed from within the 50 United States.
4. The borrowing cardholder shall be charged overdue fines on interlibrary loaned material when the material is returned after the due date, but prior to billing from the lending library. Lincoln Library shall charge the cardholder at the same daily rate charged for Lincoln Library owned materials.
5. In the event Lincoln Library pays the lending library for a billed overdue item, the borrowing cardholder must reimburse Lincoln Library the full cost and fees charged by the lending library, even if the cardholder later returns the borrowed material. Failure to do so may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
6. The borrowing cardholder must pay specified non-refundable cost and accompanying service fee charged by the lending library if an interlibrary loaned item is lost or damaged. Failure to pay these charges may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
a) If the lending library prefers to have a lost item replaced, the cardholder shall be charged the list price of the item plus a processing fee determined by the lending library.
A. It is the responsibility of the library to ensure the confidentiality of users and their requests.
B. All records identifying the names of library users with specific requests for materials are confidential in nature.
C. Confidentiality applies to all users regardless of their age.
Adopted by the
Lincoln Library Board of Trustees:
December 5th, 2018