Lincoln Library offers free notary service by appointment. For more details or to request an appointment, phone us at 217-753-4900 ext 5602.
What to bring:
- Your completed, unsigned document(s) to be notarized
- A witness or witnesses, if required by your document. Lincoln Library cannot supply witnesses
- A valid, unexpired ID. Any witnesses must also have ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Driver’s license
- State ID card
- US military ID
- US passport
- FOID Card
We cannot notarize:
- Documents that are already signed. (Signatures must be witnessed by the Notary Public)
- Documents that are not in English
- Documents with blank spaces other than the space for signature
- We cannot “certify a copy” (e.g., verify that a reproduction of an original document is a true, complete, and correct copy of the original)
Other things to know:
- Notaries are regulated by Illinois law. We will not notarize documents that do not follow such laws and regulations. Notaries will not prepare or complete documents for you, nor can they give legal advice on a matter.
- Per Illinois law, notaries will not provide service if the document or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issues of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty. In this event, the notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.