The Springfield Municipal Opera Collection is an integration and reorganization of documents, newspaper clippings, memoranda and financial reports from the early 1930's to the mid-1990's. The Muni's history can be traced back to 1935 when E. Carl Lundgren directed two shows on a specially built stage to mark the dedication of Lake Springfield. After WWII, Lundgren convinced city officials to establish a permanent site near Lake Springfield, where its current configuration was completed in 1964. Today the Muni continues to thrive, entertaining nearly 30 thousand fans each year. This collection also contains programs from many of the Muni productions and collections of photographs from select shows.