1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free program designed to help you and your child read 1,000 books before they enter kindergarten. It sounds scary, but it really isn’t! If you read just one book a day, you will read more than 1,000 books in only three years. Even better, if you read the same book to your child three times in a row, you can count it three times!
Why Should I Participate?
Research demonstrates that young children who are read to on a regular basis have an advantage when learning to read for themselves. Reading together builds closeness and early literacy skills, which are the foundations for school success.
How Does the Program Work?
- Keep track of the books you read to your child.
- Your child will receive a prize every time they hit a 100 book milestone! Just bring your completed 100-book reading log to the Youth Services Department at the library to receive your prize.
How Can I Track Books?
- Track your child's reading progress using our reading program site, Beanstack. Register and start tracking right away! You can also download the free Beanstack app and track from your mobile device.
- Pick up a paper reading log from the Youth Services Department at the library.
- Download the reading logs for each milestone: