Adult Summer Reading 2022
Summer Reading Challenges
Adult Summer Reading Game
The act of reading is incredible; how something so simple can take you to far off destinations, have you look through the eyes of so many lives lived, and experience worlds that can only be imagined. From the steadfast book lover to the harried parent just looking for some much needed “me time,” Lincoln Library’s Adult Summer Reading program is designed to enrich the lives of our adult patrons.
How it works:
- Sign up using our Beanstack app.
- Every 1 book read and logged is 1 raffle ticket towards the prize of your choice, with our raffle drawing taking place at the end of Summer Reading.
- Reading multiple books, or completing fun reading challenges, will earn readers “badges,” and each badge equals an “instant prize” of your choice, from mini flashlights to Lincoln Library mugs.
- 5 books read
- 10 books read
- 15 books read
- 20 books read
- Attended a library program or event
- Uploaded a photo to the Community Portal
- Read a book set in (or about) Illinois
- Read a book set in (or about) the wilderness
- Read a book involving (or about) a library or libraries
Local Fiction Author Summer Reading Challenge
The Sangamon County area is fortunate to have a plethora of talented authors and the annual Local Author Fiction Challenge helps to bring exposure to their important works. The Sangamon Valley Collection staff oversee local author books in the circulating collection.
How it works:
- Read a fiction book by a local author and enter the raffle for a $50 Downtown Springfield Gift Card to be awarded at the end of Summer Reading. Enter the raffle by using our Beanstack app and entering the “Local Author Fiction Challenge.”
- One raffle ticket per book, and each book logged will be a chance in the final drawing, which takes place Monday, August 1st.
Summer Reading Programs
- Armchair Travel Kits, June 1st-30th
- Travel the world without leaving home! From Spain to China, India to New Zealand -- choose your destination and "book" your ticket! Each Armchair Travel Kit contains a travel guide to a distant locale, a novel based in that region, and a bookmark with more reading suggestions. Kits are available at the Readers Services Desk through the month of June.
- Art Beyond the Beaten Path, June 6th-July 30th
- See wondrous works by local artists displayed at Lincoln Library! Art exhibits change every two weeks throughout Summer, and can be found on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors of Lincoln Library.
- Walk & Talk Book Club
- Let’s get outside for our Walk & Talk Book Club! Join us to talk about your favorite books, what you’ve been reading recently, and to discover new books while we walk in Springfield’s most beautiful parks! Check the events calendar for details.
- Arts in the Park!
- Paint in the park with local Springfield artist, Jeff C. Williams, from Dim Art House. This is a chance to experience a paintbrush in your hand while surrounded by the beautiful scenery of Springfield's parks. Check the events calendar for details and to sign up (registration required).
- A Walk Through Oak Ridge Cemetery
- Join City Historian Curtis Mann for a guided walk through the southeast section of the cemetery. Mann will discuss the history of the cemetery, interesting monuments and many of the families buried in this portion of the cemetery. Check the events calendar for details and to sign up (registration required).
- The Capitol Avenue Amble
- Join City Historian Curtis Mann for a guided tour of Capitol Avenue from Lincoln Library to the Illinois State Capitol and back. Mann will discuss the history of the avenue, its many buildings, past and present and the story of the State Capitol. Check the events calendar for details and to sign up (registration required).
- ...And so much more!
Summer Reading Program
Part of Summer Reading 2022: Read Off the Beaten Path