Lincoln Library Interlibrary Loan Quick Facts
Materials Available through Interlibrary Loan
Only items that are not available at Lincoln Library or material owned by Lincoln Library that is overdue at least one month can be requested through interlibrary loan.
Lincoln Library is not able to request the following:
- Material from libraries outside the 50 United States
- Materials from libraries that charge a fee for interlibrary loan.
- Items published within the last three months.
- Microform, reference, video games, materials more than 100 years old, other special collection materials including but not limited to: art prints, puzzles, board games, etc.
Fines and Fees
- Fees for interlibrary loan items that are lost or damaged by the borrowing cardholder will be charged to the cardholder’s Lincoln Library account in accordance with the policy of the lending library (library that owns the item). This could include, but is not limited to, replacement cost and processing fees.
- Lincoln Library’s standard overdue fines apply to interlibrary loaned material returned after the due date. Overdue fines are set in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
- In the event Lincoln Library pays the lending library for a billed overdue item, the borrowing cardholder must reimburse Lincoln Library the full cost and fees charged by the lending library, even if the cardholder later returns the borrowed material.
- Failure to pay interlibrary loan-related fines and fees may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges in accordance with the Lincoln Library Circulation Policy.
Lincoln Library cardholders are allowed 30 open interlibrary loan requests at any one time. Requests in excess of this limit will be canceled and the cardholder notified the first two times that excess requests have been made. After two times, excess requests will be canceled without notification.
Hold Periods and Checkout Periods
Lincoln Library’s standard hold period applies to interlibrary loan items.
If a cardholder has reached the maximum hold limit on the account, the interlibrary loan material will be returned to the lending library.
The loan period for interlibrary loan material is set according to Lincoln Library’s Circulation Policy loan periods.
No renewal of interlibrary loan material is allowed.
The requesting cardholder must have and present their valid resident or non-resident Lincoln Library card in good standing before an item will be requested through interlibrary loan.
In compliance with the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code, Lincoln Library does not provide interlibrary loan services to reciprocal borrowers. Reciprocal borrowers should contact their home library for interlibrary loan service.
Lincoln Library will not process interlibrary loan requests for a cardholder who has any fines in excess of $10.00.
Lincoln Library will not process interlibrary loan requests for a cardholder who has lost or damaged charges in excess of $50.00.
The valid Lincoln Library card number must match the name on the request. The same card number must be used to check out the interlibrary loan material.
Interlibrary loan borrowing privileges may be suspended if the cardholder does not comply with Lincoln Library’s Interlibrary Loan Policy.
It is the responsibility of the library to ensure the confidentiality of cardholders and their requests.
All records identifying the names of library cardholders with specific requests for materials are confidential in nature.
Confidentiality applies to all cardholders regardless of their age.