The International Order of King’s Daughters began in New York City in 1866 with the intention of forming a women’s group that would break down barriers between rich and poor. It is a non-denominational Christian organization; members are part of circles, which make up the larger organization.
King’s Daughters came to Springfield by way of Reverend F. W. Clampett, who had come to Springfield from New York City in 1888 to be rector of Christ Church. The first group took their name as the Whatsoever Circle; their first meeting was on June 24, 1888. By 1890, there were ten circles in the city.
Records and notes kept by Elizabeth Weir (1927-2015), matron of the King’s Daughters Home in Springfield in 1973, concerning circles, maintenance of the home, and general issues of the home. Also includes a matron’s book she kept in 1973.