The collection includes materials from 1932-2004 from the Springfield Audubon Society and its predecessor the Springfield Nature League. Materials include bylaws, policies and procedures, board meeting minutes, correspondence, membership lists, newsletters, publicity, press releases and news clippings, photographs, bird sighting reports, treasurers reports, and bank statements. It also includes materials related to their bird feed and bird house fundraisers, films from the National Audubon Society, field trips, nature preserve and park efforts and other activities and programs.
The Springfield chapter of the Illinois Audubon Society began in 1932 as the Springfield Nature League. Under the leadership of Father George Link, the group was quite active in providing nature hikes, lectures, classes, and educational tours. It began sponsoring wildlife films in 1943. In 1960, the Nature League voted to affiliate with the National Audubon Society and changed its name to the Springfield Audubon Society. The group continued to sponsor field trips and nature films, participated in Christmas and spring bird counts, and began cooperative ventures with the Illinois Audubon Society including making a donation to the Save-the-Prairie-Chicken Fund. In 1979, after more than a year of discussion and preparation, the Springfield Audubon Society adopted new by-laws and voted to seek chapter status in the Illinois Audubon Society.