American Association of University Women-Springfield Chapter
In 1906 the National Association of Collegiate Alumnae granted a charter to Springfield to form a branch. They had their first meeting in 1907. The organization became the American Association of University Women in 1921.
Illinois State University, Springfield’s first school of higher learning, was inappropriately named because it was actually a private school supported by the Lutheran Church and had no connection with the state of Illinois.
The collection includes materials related to the operation of Lincoln Memorial Garden-correspondence, grounds notebook, committee reports, and maintenance plans, Administrators reports, Annual reports and meeting minutes, treasurers reports and financial records, photos, history and bylaws, newspaper clippings, event calendars, and items related Harriet Knudson and garden development.
The collection includes club yearbooks 1950s-2014 (some missing), meeting minutes 1940-2014 (some missing), treasurer’s reports/finances 1960s-2015 (some missing), correspondence, program information, membership and retirement (potential membership) information, and necrology reports of obituaries, people in the news, and cards sent 2004-May 2015.
Susan E. Wilcox was born in May of 1866 or 1867. She graduated from Springfield High School in 1884 and from Wellesley College in 1887. Her teaching career began at Springfield High School in 1888 and ended with her retirement in 1935.
This collection consists of eight composition notebooks kept by Pearl Irene Wheeler as a student at Springfield High School and as a student at the Springfield Teacher's Training School between 1913-14.